This position is responsible for independently and proficiently performing Histology laboratory techniques to ensure the quality, consistency and efficiency of operations. Current ASCP board of certification Histotech or Histotechnologist documentation is required.
• Performs routine histology tasks independently with a focus on maintaining skills, knowledge and increasing experience.
o Safety – Follow laboratory safety requirements including hazardous waste regulations and disposal.
o Processing – Working knowledge of tissue fixation and processing.
o Embedding – Embedding paraffin processed patient tissue in molds.
o Microtomy – Producing high quality microscopic slides.
o Quality Control – QC checks of histology slides prior to slide distribution.
o Reagent preparation, storage and disposal of solutions.
o Staining techniques – Manual and automated methods of H&E and special stains.
o IHC – Basic operations.
• Responsible for production of routine and special histology techniques.
• Performs assigned bench responsibilities wholly.
• Reviews and acts in accordance with current policies and procedures.
• Assists in training team members when requested and scheduled by department management.
• Participate in on-call schedule rotation.
• Maintain integrity of patient specimens at all times, with a high level of accuracy.
• Establishes and maintains effective relationships with team members, management and pathologists.
• Resolves conflict through finding common ground and obtaining cooperation with minimum disruption. Identifies problems and provides appropriate recommendations for solutions in a timely manner.
• Responsible for following all quality and regulatory standards required in performing tasks.
• Demonstrate initiative, dependability, cooperation and diplomacy in all situations.
• Maintains a safe, clean work environment at all times (includes equipment, supply stock, files, records, counters, etc.) according to standards established.
• Block and slide filing.
• Helps prepare for accreditation inspections.
• Other duties as assigned.
• No supervisory duties.
• Working knowledge of biology, anatomy, and medical terminology.
• Working knowledge of all Histology procedures.
• Knowledge of handling chemical and biohazardous materials.
• Solid understanding of operating and maintenance to all equipment in the Histology Laboratory and ability to perform preventive and corrective maintenance of laboratory equipment and instruments or refer to appropriate sources for repairs.
• Computer Skills: Basic computer navigation and data entry skills.
• Communication Skills: Communicate and collaborate both orally and in writing.
• Interpersonal Skills: Effectively work with all levels of the organization.
• Must work independently or in small or large group settings.
• Must effectively identify and communicate to solve problems and issues.
• Must maintain confidentiality in order to protect patient/client privacy and proprietary organizational information.
• Must maintain mental and physical focus required to perform tasks to established standards and deadlines (quality and quantity).
• Must learn new techniques and adhere to scheduled competency examinations.
• High School or Equivalent.
• College biology educational track with completion of 30 hours of science credit and completion of a college level human anatomy and physiology course.
o Or training and documented proficiency in Histology by a NACCLS program.
• A minimum of one year experience that demonstrates the knowledge and experience necessary to obtain HT/HTL (ASCP) certification.
• Attends continuing education activities to enhance current knowledge, skills and maintains current HT/HTL certification.
• Laboratory environment.
• Employees in this position will receive safety training on handling and disposal of chemicals and biohazards, clean-up of spills, emergency evacuation routes, communication and alarms.
• Exposure to chemicals including but not limiting to alcohol, xylene, formalin and biohazard materials.
• Requires ability to tolerate appropriate use of personal protective equipment.
• High pressure to meet deadlines impacting turn-around-time and managing issues.
• Requires full range of body motion, including manual and finger dexterity.
• Requires eye/hand coordination.
• Requires visual acuity and normal color perception.
• Requires moderate physical activity and the ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
• Requires ability to lift and carry items weighing up to 50 pounds.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job.
or contact or contact Ms. Elizabeth Menendez HT(ASCP), firstname.lastname@example.org