Careers that Change Lives
Help streamline and speed our time to market and build quality in at every step. You will be a member of the new product development team that supports the design and development of innovative, new products within Surgical Innovations business. You can apply advanced technical concepts to complex problems from concept generation through early phase development.
Impact patient outcomes. Come for a job, stay for a career.
A Day in the Life
The Sr. Scientist is responsible for maintaining a histology laboratory and providing histological services in support of business unit and sector projects and goals.
- Provides routine histology laboratory duties including trimming, processing, embedding, sectioning, and staining of slides.
- Contributes to project teams as a key technical team member.
- Maintains histology equipment necessary to meet project specifications.
- Conducts literature searches as required to support development of new histology procedures
- Develops and maintains Standard Operating Procedures for Histology lab.
- Develops and maintains safety procedures for the histology laboratory.
- Initiates and maintains policies in support of a safe and healthy work environment. This includes following the established rules, policies and practices of environmental, health and safety with specific attention to the Covidien Cardinal Rules.
- May supervise junior technical associates.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required.
- Conducts histology studies as compliant with 21 CFR Part 58 FDA Good Laboratory Practice for Nonclinical Laboratory Studies.
- Train on and utilize all SI-Boulder Histopathology GLP SOPs
- Review and update SI-Boulder Histopathology GLP SOPs and controlled forms when appropriate
Must Have: Minimum Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Natural Science or related field
- Relevant experience: 4 years with an undergraduate degree or 2 years with an advanced degree
Nice to Have
- American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) certification as a histology technician (HT) or histotechnologist (HTL)
- Complete understanding of basic histology theory
- In-depth knowledge of standard histological procedures including microscopic histology
- Considerable knowledge of human and animal anatomy
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to utilize creativity and expertise for the development of innovative technical solutions
- Personal computer skills
- Knowledge of computerized databases for the maintenance of scientific data
- Knowledge of operating room and surgical procedures
- Effective record keeping skills
- Basic understanding of statistics and statistical methods
- Ability to keep neat and accurate laboratory notebooks and other records
- Effective written and verbal communication skills and ability to train others
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position, but they are not an exhaustive list of all the required responsibilities and skills of this position.
The physical demands described within the Day in the Life section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.