Job Title: Lab Manager - Histotechnologist
Dept/Supervisor: Castle Rock, CO Lab / Clinic Team Leader
Location: Castle Rock, CO
(Castle Rock is a beautiful setting between Denver and the Springs)
The Lab Manager - Histotechnologist is accountable for laboratory operational quality, efficiency, turn-around time, cost effectiveness, and enhancing profitability while promoting the values and mission statement of Forefront Dermatology. Cultivates and ensures laboratory staff focus on exceptional customer service and satisfaction for patients, referring physicians and providers, pathologists, and clinic staff. The Lab Manager also works closely with senior management on growth initiatives and is responsible for special projects in areas of expertise or as assigned. Performs histotech duties when needed.
1. Workflow analysis and development as needed due to growth or process improvement.
a. Gathers information in preparation for and assists with the selection of new laboratory equipment and systems when needed, providing data for cost analysis as applicable.
b. Provides verbal and written proposals for workflow changes to maximize cost efficiency and productivity.
2. Works with Forefront Dermatology pathologists and administration to ensure turnaround time meets Forefront standards. Alerts administration of turnaround issues and assists to resolve as appropriate. Assists with triage of work when appropriate.
3. Provides biweekly and monthly productivity and efficiency statistics and reports. Provides recommendations for efficiency measures to maximize lab profitability while maintaining high quality. Reports and statistics include but are not limited to productivity & staffing analysis, test volumes, and cost analyses.
4. Prepares laboratory performance and operational update presentations for BOD and senior management as required.
a. Prepares for and participates in CLIA surveys for all labs involved with DAW pathologists.
b. Assists in ensuring new policies and procedures are CLIA compliant.
c. Under the direction of the Technical Supervisor, is responsible for maintenance oversight of the quality control and quality assurance records.
d. Coordinates the scheduling and ensures that all Proficiency testing occurs in a timely manner for each proficiency test system.
e. Coordinates troubleshooting actions with appropriate entities, (Technical Supervisor, manufacturers, consulting companies) when quality assurance, quality control, proficiency issues arise.
6. Laboratory Procedures:
a. Optimizes, validates, and develops protocols for new or modified procedures under the direction and as requested by the Technical Supervisor.
b. Under the direction of the Technical Supervisor, provides daily technical assistance as needed with regards to stain quality and changes in protocols or procedures.
c. Ensures that policies and procedures are up to date and approved by the Technical Supervisor
7. Laboratory Corrective Actions:
a. Ensures appropriate procedures are developed and followed in response to incidents requiring corrective action.
b. Documents the corrective action following standard procedure. Makes recommendations for changes to current procedures to reduce risk of similar incident in the future when appropriate.
8. Attends and actively participates in required Forefront management meetings.
9. Troubleshoot issues with pathology software (Novopath and Oracle)
10. Point of contact for questions regarding turnaround time or biopsy status updates
11. Adherence to compliance and completion of compliance training.
12. Performs other related tasks as assigned.
Clinic Lab and Histotechnician Duties (performed as needed):
1. Accessioning, and grossing the tissue, which includes measuring, inking and cutting, and putting the information into the computer under the patient name.
2. Processing and embedding tissues.
3. Cutting tissues on a microtome and mounting on slides for staining.
4. Staining tissues including H & E, special, and immunohistochemistry stains.
5. Daily maintenance of all equipment, changing solutions and maintaining temperatures is necessary.
6. Troubleshooting as needed and working with the dermatopathologist to maintain efficient workflow.
1. Certified or Licensed Histotechnician or histotechnologist is required.
2. Bachelor’s degree in business management, laboratory management, or related field is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Minimum of 5 year of experience in a dermatopathology lab as a histotechnician or histotechnologist.
2. Minimum 3 year of employment with Forefront Dermatology, or 5 years previous leadership experience in a similar environment at another facility.
3. Must be detail oriented.
4. Must have excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
5. Demonstrated leadership experience. Must be able to demonstrate leadership by serving as an example to others with regard to professional behavior, handling multiple tasks, maintaining a positive attitude, and in response to organizational change.
6. Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint is required. Must be able to learn new software quickly.
7. Must possess excellent leadership, organizational, and computer skills.
8. Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with staff, board, clients, and the public.
9. Ability to multi-task, prioritize appropriately, and work well both individually and as part of a team.
10. Ability to use time productively and contribute to high levels of company operational efficiency and effectiveness.
11. Ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
1. Ability to communicate in an active multi-office environment.
2. Ability to efficiently operate all job related office equipment (telephone, computer, calculator, fax, copier).
3. Ability to communicate via telephone.
4. Ability to sit for large portions of a workday.
HIPAA CATEGORIES FOR ACCESS FOR EMPLOYEES AND VOLUNTEERS
1 I Full Access: Routine access to patient information as needed to do your assigned job and potential
disclosure of patient information with appropriate releases and/or consents.
0 II Modified Access: Access to patients that you work with, but only some patient information.
0 III Minimal Access: Access only on as case-by-case basis as assigned by a supervisor.
Forefront is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, and other state and federal laws, Forefront will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer. This job description is not considered an employment agreement or contract. The specific statements shown in each section of this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the position. Management has the exclusive right to alter job responsibilities at any time without notice to meet business and company needs.
For more information please contact Ms. Lexie Mertens at LMertens@forefrontderm.com
600 York St
Manitowoc WI 54220
Direct line: 920-663-5448
Confidential HR Fax: (920) 684-1438