*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine, Department of Pathology
Histotechnologist (Health Care Intermediate Professional)
Position #767586 – Requisition 17258
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Department of Pathology has an opening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Histotechnologist (Health Care Intermediate Professional) position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
Nature of Work:
The Histotechnologist position is responsible for processing whole mount prostate, prostate mapping biopsies and other types of specimens received in the Histology Subspecialty Laboratory according to standard protocol under minimal supervision. Specific duties to include but not limited to: histological processing of surgical pathology specimens in preparation for Pathologist review and diagnosis; receiving all histology specimens and processing them using various methodologies involving complex machinery and staining systems; preparing the slides for Pathologist review by cutting prepared blocks of tissue utilizing complex machinery; and staining slides whether with routine or immunohistochemical stains. This position will also label, enter and track the progress of the specimen until it reaches the Pathologist for diagnosis. This is extremely important in overall patient care as inappropriate processing, lost specimens or incorrectly labeled specimens can result in incorrect or unavailable diagnoses. This can cause repeat procedures or life threatening treatment choices. The Histotechnologist will participate in the management of the histology area by maintaining an inventory of supplies, cleaning and organizing of work stations, disposal of biological waste, and adherence to all compliance and operational procedures. This position requires independent judgment in selection of methodologies, utilized in processing tissue specimens and in solving routine problems. The Histotechnologist must be familiar with all laboratory policies and procedures. This position requires excellent interpersonal skills, where customer service and responsibility to patient care are the priorities.
Additional duties include documentation per CAP guidelines, communication with pathologists/residents, and troubleshooting equipment malfunctions. This is not a supervisory position. However, this position will demonstrate communication of all problems and concerns to the Supervisor and/or pertinent superiors. If there are no superiors present at the time, the employee shall handle the situation, and immediately inform the Histology Supervisor of corrective actions taken.
Examples of Work Performed:
• Performs procedures in grossing large and biopsy specimens, tissue processing/embedding, sectioning, routine H&E stains, immunohistochemistry and special stains/in-situ hybridization as needed.
• Utilizes appropriate equipment with precision for routine and whole mount histological protocols.
• Performs complex staining techniques and demonstrates competency with immunohistochemical procedures to possibly include in situ hybridization reactions.
• Performs computer data entry, recall, and labeling on complex pathology network (LIS).
• Performs routine preventative maintenance, cleaning, and minor adjustments on all lab equipment.
• Prepares and examines solutions for contamination, impurities, or instability.
• Familiarity with all lab procedures, such as the use of pH meter, balancing, centrifuges, microwaves, fume hood, etc.
• Follow specimen submission requirements.
• Examines microscopically all stained slides and controls to determine accuracy of the last test and document all protocol modifications according to regulations.
• Performs all procedures in a timely manner.
• Maintains and retrieves archived Histological slides and blocks.
• Collaborates with the UCD Biorepository Core Facility to fulfill requirements of ongoing research studies.
• Answers laboratory phone properly and takes information down correctly.
• Assists in the ordering of laboratory supplies to maintain proper inventory.
• Assists in maintaining accreditation standards, to include all check sheets and quality control information sheets.
• Understands and uses proper safety practices.
• Completes all UCD required training and compliance courses.
• Completes continuing education courses to maintain ASCP certification and institutional requirements.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation